Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Kindergarten Time Capsule

Grace,

Wow!  This is a daunting task and your teacher (Mrs. Robbins) said not to wait until the last minute to write our letters.  What did your Dad and I do, waited until the last day of course.

I am not sure what to say or how to say it.  I want you to read this letter and know how much I love you and how often I think of you.  How sweet I think you are and how sassy that you and I both know you are!  The fact that the ‘smirk’ on your face drives your Dad nuts and is the look from you that makes me smile.  I know behind that smirk is a smart and devious little girl that is thinking hard about how to get what she wants.  You are testing your boundaries and then you go ahead and step right beyond your limits creating new ones.  That will be a great trait as an adult.  To push beyond what others say is where you have to stop (of course with the best goals in mind).

I want you to read this letter and enjoy it.  Have a smile on your face thinking of your crazy mom trying to come up with timeless advice and profound words of wisdom.  The kind you take with you through out your whole life.

I hope that I have done a good job of raising you and that it will not be this letter that suddenly opens your eyes to who you are, how the world is and how hard I tried to be a good Mama, Mom or whatever you end up calling me.  (I prefer Mama. J )

You have accomplished so much in the last 6 years!  You have grown 3 inches a year in your first three years and 2 inches a year in the last three.  We did the ‘Old Wives Tail’ of measuring you on your second birthday, multiplying that by 2 to see how tall you will be when you are done growing…  You are supposed to be 5’9.5”, so how tall are you? 

You learned how to walk when you were one, to talk between 9 months and two and you always knew how to enjoy playing and laughing!  You have the greatest smile and the BEST laugh!! 

You were the easiest going kid ever!  I took you everywhere with me for work and you never minded a bit.  You excelled in preschool.  You have done wonderful and outstanding work in kindergarten!  You already are a very creative and talented artist.  I wonder if you will become an artist or work in the art industry in some way. 

You have learned to play soccer, to swim and to ride a wake board at the lake, I wonder what ‘your’ sport will be?  You are thoughtful and sweet; you are caring and show it!  You are brave and so very strong!  Both physically and mentally.  You are yourself and I can’t wait to meet the 18 year old Grace Lynn (Lou Hoo) Donovan!



Now that you are 18 and ready to run your own life...  I hope as parent that I have made good and wise choices in raising you!  I want to give you all of the tools to be a successful woman in all that you choose to do. 

Never stop dreaming.
Always be as creative as you can be.
Be thoughtful of yourself AND of others.
This means if you are not happy, you can’t make other people happy.
It is never your responsibility to make other people happy, but rather seek to be a bright point in their day or life.
Always be you, not who others think you should be.
Being genuine will endear you to people stronger than telling them what they want to hear.
If you are silly, they will love you more if you are silly than when you try to be serious.
Do you see my theme?
Laugh and smile, it just makes the day better.
Find the upside in everything.
Love and listen to your Dad, when you are an adult, he will be your guide.
I call my Dad every day, when I have something to say and when I just want to say “Hi!”

I love you so very much and I can only imagine that will continue to grow.  With you, how could it not?  See you in 12 years!!

Love, your Mama,



Diedre

May 22, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment